On January 12, 2003 I acquired the Fishmobile from another member of the Burning Man community. Outside are many painted
fish and bits of plastic (all blacklight sensitive). Inside
are many more fish (awesome job!) and lots of blacklights.
They had built supports for blacklights outside the vehicle
so the outside fish glowed too.
In 2003, with the help of many friends and the
Fishmobile Team I intend to continue
developing this art car, with some twists. These plans are
still forming, but this is a rough outline:
- The theme this year is "Beyond Belief". What lies
beyond belief? Transformation! The interior
of the fishmobile will be lined with a maze of intertwining
beliefs. Participants will start and either follow or
challenge their beliefs. Along the way they will experience
many textures, puzzles, people, art and choices, all under blacklight... with fish. At the end of the maze will be a thought to ponder, which will somehow be related to the theme of tranformation through challenging belief.
- The fishmobile will cruise the playa at night for everyone's enjoyment. We are not planning for it to be
open during the day. It will be parked in our camp.
- We will not provide alcohol. We won't prevent someone from bringing a drink, but this won't be a rolling bar or drunk zone.
- We will use the fishmobile to transport the
Desert Nose and related gear to and from Burning Man. Once the nose
is built, the remaining gear will be stashed in the
except for some key tools and
valuable stuff that will be locked in a secure area of the
- The night of the burn the fishmobile is reserved for the use of our own camp. The roof will have been reinforced
enough to support at least 10 people (possibly more -- TBD)
so there will be room to sit on top and watch the burn.
- Different people will take shifts driving the fishmobile on different nights. Most likely in teams of
- Beginning in March I'll send out a call for volunteers
and together we'll decide what needs to be done and who will do it. For more info on our team, check